Public Outreach Offerings
As part of our goals of teaching water safety to the greatest number of children possible in the East Bay, the Lifeguard Service is venturing out into various educational online offerings. The courses we currently offer are listed below, along with a brief description. Also, please note, while we have targeted each presentation for a specific grade, each presentation can generally be modified for a grade above and below. If there is any doubt, send us a request and we'll see if we can make it work. While we prefer to offer most trainings in a live format, many can be prerecorded and played for your class as well.
If you are interested in requesting a program from a representative from the Lifeguard Service, please fill out the request form. Once filled out, we will reach out to you to finalize the scheduling details.
- Emergency Preparedness (2nd Grade) - Preparing for emergencies is always important, especially when it comes to fires, earthquakes, thunder and lightning. In this 15 minute program, Tyler will examine the effects of these emergencies and why you should speak to your family members about them to create a plan of action.
- I'm Lost! Now What? (Kindergaren - 5th Grade) - In this 20 minute program, McKenna will cover the basics of what to do when you're separated from your family. She'll talk about who to look for such as lifeguards, police, firefighters and families with kids.
- I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Sunscreen (Kindergarten -1st Grade) - When it comes time to go out in the sun, we often find ourselves screaming at the thought of putting on sunscreen. In this 15 minute presentation, Aaron will discuss the importance of sun safety, proper methods for applying sunscreen and overall sun safety practices. When all is said and done, we'll no longer be screaming against sunscreen, but will instead be screaming for!
- Prepare with Pedro! Fire Preparedness Training (Kindergarten- 2nd Grade) - This basic fire preparedness course for kids is exactly what they need to be fire safe. In 30 minute presentation, which follows the American Red Cross Fire Safety curriculum, Eric will leave kids with a basic knowledge on how to be prepared and take action for house fires.
- Stop the Spread! Preventing Illness and Disease (3rd Grade) - Learning about diseases and their causes has become serious business lately. In this 20 minute presentation Nellie, will teach ways to protect yourself and others. She'll wrap up the presentation with a group activity.